Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Death of a Soldier…

I knew he was dying and I knew he knows that too. But both of us had no time to think about that. With his stomach ripped apart by a shell, if there was any chance of him surviving, I had to keep him talking, keep him awake.

People think that soldiers are men of few words but they don’t realize how much words mean to them. To them, who don’t know which word would be their last or which word would end their world.

Similar feelings were going back and forth in my mind when I had to use my words, not bullets, for a life, for saving a life. Sitting in a trench, waiting for help, I was wondering, will I be alive to keep Jai alive for some time? But I had to over come the fear. I had to save him. I must.

“Hey Jai, you there?”, I said cheerfully.
“Yup”, He said with a smile.
I knew he was remembering chat sessions we used to have when we used to go to our homes during training.
“How you doing buddy?”, I asked.
“Not great dude, do I need mention why?”, he said glancing downwards.
My heart leaped !

I knew Jai for four years now, from the day we met when I reached the army camp and in these four years we have come as close as brothers. We know each other’s secrets. He knows how mad I was about a girl till she slapped me. I know how much he loves his fiancé Smriti, his childhood love. I felt like crying but I couldn’t. I can’t. Tears are not for us who fight so that no one in their country has to shed a tear.

He mumbled something.
“What did you say?”, I asked.
“Tell Smriti that I was involved with some other girl near army camp”, he said.
“What, Why?”
“That is the only way she will forget me though she may not forgive me”, he said helplessly.
“Oye, don’t talk like that. You are going no where and you are not going to die, understood”, I abnomished him.
He smiled in a way that made me shiver even though we were sitting in a jungle of fire.

“That won’t help Viju. I am going to die and what I can think of now is her. Please tell her as I told you”, He said.
“Cut this crap because I am going to tell this to her, but on the day of you marriage, not now. So she won’t complain to me that I didn’t give her one last chance to stay away from such a, such a Casanova like you”
He smiled again. Genuine trademark Jai style which makes everyone look at him once again, at least.
He closed his eyes. Something collided with earth with a loud bang nearby. I trembled but he looked calm. I could think of pain he was going through. Not the pain of knowing that he is dying, but the pain of leaving Smriti all alone in this world, again. Her parent had died in an accident and what she was left with was Jai.

“Hey Jai, you remember when my mother came surprisingly to our room once, how we managed to hide all those cigarettes butts by throwing them in flush. I still regret throwing that pack of cigarette, I hadn’t even opened it”, I said grudgingly.
“That day was fun”, he said, trying to be talkative but with great pain.
“Yes, yes, those were the great days”, I said, “You know, I have decided to quit smoking once the war is over”.
“Fifty seventh time you have said this in last few years”.
I laughed, “I know you have a good memory but you need not show it off every now and then on such a petty thing. Anyway, you remember this, this time I will certainly quit”.
“And you know, I am thinking of settling down in life, finally. Enough is enough. How long I will have to sleep with you and in fact even you won’t be there after few months once you get married”.
“Dear, you know so many girls, set one for me. I swear, this time I am serious. You can tell her that I will follow her like no one would. Please, please, please say that you will do this for me”.

He nodded. He looked better.

“And you know, I had already made plans for my marriage. Simple marriage, two children and both of them will go to english medium co-education schools. And one thing certainly I am going to tell them, stay away from Jai uncle’s children.”
“Then why are you not staying away from me”.
“Because, because… Tough question, let me think” I said laughing.
“Because you are my life”, I laughed loudly.

He tried to laugh but could not.
He closed his eyes again. He was becoming too weak due to heavy loss of blood. I had wrapped my muffler around his waist but that was not of much help to him.

“Hey Jai”, I said.
No response.
“Hey Jai”, I said loudly and shook him. Still there was no response. I got worried. I checked his heart beats. He was still alive but was ready to break free at any moment.
“Jai, are you listening to me”, I shouted.
He moved a bit.
“Please Jai, be there for some time and help will come”, I pleaded, “You have to. For me, for Smriti and for your children”.
I felt like fear of loosing him was taking its toll on me.
He didn’t buzz. I shook him again. No response again. I put my ears once again against his chest and I felt like dead.
No sound, no movement, just silence of death.
He was dead. My best friend had left this cruel world. He too will become a photo in a photo frame. May be some meddle will be awarded to his parents.

I felt numb, and I cried.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home